Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Teardrop


So I picked up this trailer in Oshawa. Turns out I knew the person, it was a friend of a friend of mine. Got it at a great price too. All I had to do was take it apart and re-paint it. So this picture is of the Rodgman helping me take all the old rotting wood off the steel frame.


And of course the bolts were so rusted I had to get out some man tools and grind them off!
There's The Rocket in the back, what an awesome car.


The final product! Rusted, Salted and all. Theres a lot more work where that came from.












Phew!





After that I took the beast apart and gave that a good grinding, I took of 7 years of rust and salt build up. I bought some red metal primer, and some black Trem-Klad? I think thats the name of it. Black Anti-Rust metal paint basically. To get rid of the rust and repaint it, it took me almost 5 days of work time! (8 hours a day for 5 days)






After it was painted and dried I had to go out and pick up some new bolts it since the others were so rusted, and of course since I put so much effort into the frame I couldn't just put old bolts on it! Thats me putting LocTite on the bolts so it doesn't come apart on me while on the road!

TADA! Now doesn't that look nice? An awesome flat black not an ounce of rust. You can see some primer on the front bit there, I scratched some spots putting it back together so I need to re-paint it.
Well the next task was the new flooring. I measured the metal frame to get the proper lengths. The trailer is 96" long and 51" wide. So I had to build the frame 96"long and 50 1/4" wide since the walls are 3/8" plywood and sit right on the metal frame I need to give a little play (3/8+3/8=6/8 which is 3/4). The floor frame is made of 2x2 and the flooring itself is 1/2" plywood, doubled up on the back for the spare tire and on the front, just cause I wanted it even! The black 'paint' you see is actually Undercoating tar. The stuff stinks, and its sticky as hell. I ended up getting some all up my arm and had to scrub for an hour just to get the crap off! But none the less, the tar insulates, and prevents the wood from rotting out from road moisture.
If your gunna do it, do it right!



So after all that I put on the metal frame, marked the bolts holes, drilled out the wood in the appropritate spots, bolted the wooden frame onto the metal one and Voila! Theres the lady right up on it! This picture is mimicing the picutre in the manual I am using to build this, so thats why Chantal is up there.

Oh I forgot to mention that before I put the wood frame on the trailer I insulated the floor, which once fully built, will keep out more moisture so there is no condensation on the inside. It will also keep us warm on the colder nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment